Saturday, September 15, 2007

My first job....

I was just thinking about this today so I thought I might as well post it. I doubt I have a picture but maybe will look this weekend. Wow, you can find anything on the internet! Here's their new look:

My first 'real' job (my dad had a two paper routes that my older sister, younger brother and I helped with before I was 16 so that doesn't count) was at a little sandwich place called 'Bumdoodlers' their slogan was 'not fast food, just good food fast' it was a hot lunch spot. I loved it, I thinking of why did I ever quit then? I think I remember. I started at the bottom, a shy little homeschooled (that's why I could work during the lunch hour) girl, I start filling cups with ice and getting soup bowls, I had a really good work ethic (thank you to my parents) and was always busy cleaning up or organizing, also because my other co-workers were much older and didn't have very good standards so why sit around and listen to their stories when I didn't have too right? I did end up hearing a lot of stories I would rather forget though. I soon went to cashier where I was able to give some high school buddies a discount, especially one boy, he came in every friday and I think know that it was for the sandwich and not me!!!

They would hire other high schoolers to fill the job of filling up cups etc... and I remember one girl that made me so grateful for the way my parents raised me, she was actually the cashier (go figure, less work involved) and when it was slow we are suppose to clean up or at the end of our shift sweep, mop, etc.... she didn't know how! She didn't know how to sweep, mop, do dishes, anything! I was shocked! And to top it off, one day she called her mom (and she only worked like 3 hours a day) because she had a headache and her mom brought her tylenol!!! Wow, poor girl!

Well, I moved up the ranks, but not before one of the older girls that had been working there a long time was always mean to me and I didn't know why, I was always nice and always went the extra mile, well come to find out that was the problem! She was afraid that I was jepordizing her position for asst. manager! I thought what! I'm the new girl, I'm only 16! Well she did eventually get to be manager or asst. manager whatever! I then moved up to making sandwiches!!! it was so much fun! and they made the best, fresh everything, even the bread was homemade, and the soup was delicious, and I'm sure they were sorry for it later but I could eat as much as I wanted! Oh I did.....mmmmm....the best that I still make today they called the 'turkey gobbler' it is freshly sliced turkey breast (like from the deli) and provolone cheese, heated in the microwave for a little bit and then topped with lettuce and tomato, I don't like mayo so only mustard....yummy....I'm going to make one for lunch now....

So after doing so good I'm thinking, why did I quit? well I remember I got the guts to tell the owner that I derserve a raise since I was making sandwiches, I had moved up the ranks, I was her second best employee (all the other high school girls only lasted a couple weeks each), I was very reliable, always early for work, etc... And I got it!!!! but then I found out that the little high school girl that had only been working one week got paid the same!!!!!!!!!! I was out of there.....

Then I worked at a fast food taco place, they put me on the grill!!! I applied for cashier! Not cool, I quit.

And then my second favorite job (and I do have pictures I will need to dig out)......A Soda Jerk!!!!! Yep, I worked at a soda fountain, with the bar and everything (we didn't serve any alcohol, I just mean 'the bar') it was so awesome! and again, I'm sure they regretted it but it was all you can eat and they served the best ice cream, it was made from Jersey Cow milk, mmmmm. They also did some sandwiches and soup that I still make to this day, I loved working there, it's out of business now so I can't even go when I visit, maybe I should try and find that ice cream online? I'm so surprised I didn't gain more weight then I did, but I guess I worked my butt off too!!! Literally! And with Cystic Fibrosis it's really hard to gain weight (thus my struggle I'm dealing with currently) so it was heaven.


I loved being a waitress, I also worked at a bakery as a waitress for a period of time, and I've worked in a couple LDS bookstores, those were fun because I got a lot of reading done since one was really really slow!!! I also love to be a cashier (hence the bookstores) and was a cashier at the BYU Bookstore for 5 years or so, and of course I love to do hair and have worked in a salon for over 6 years. I really like the public I guess, serving them, making them happy, though that was a little easier as a waitress then a cashier. And I can honestly and proudly add that I have never cut anyone's hair shorter than they wanted! even in beauty school!!!! That has been a goal of mine (and also to not let parents give kids bad haircuts! you will have to see my childhood haircuts to understand.) so way to go me!

Guess that's all for this Saturday post. Just finishing up the rest of the book markers, hope to post them tomorrow.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Great little trip down memory lane. I was a soda jerk too. Good times. We used to serve apple danishes and would have to say "would you like that with a pat of butter?" Then we would melt a cube of butter on top of the already greasy and fried pastry. Mmmm, mmmm!

So I think I just put the family tree together, are you Cara's sister? When she said her sister told her about blogging, I couldn't figure out who the sis was. Got it now.

I just read through all your archives. Very inspirational, you are such a joyful person. I've learned a lot and want to be a more compassionate person after reading your thoughts. Thank you.

RoRo2 said...

I am, isn't she a wonderful person? I love her whole family and really miss her kids.

kasi said...

I wish I could eat that soda and ice cream in such abundance! YUM. How fun to have a job there. I wish there were more old places like that.

Marie said...

Fun to read about all your jobs. Those sandwiches sound wonderful. I totally want one now. Let's see, what do I have in my kitchen...

Wendi said...

Oh, that does sound like a great job! Yum!

Lucy said...

I've never had a job in the food or service industry and always wonder if I would have been any good at it, especially when I have poor service at a restaurant. I appreciate good service though, and it sounds like you are/were a hard worker.