Saturday, January 5, 2008

Understanding my situation....

In my previous post I quoted from a talk from Pres. Faust, I would like to continue because he had a story in there just totally explained how I feel about my situation:

Last summer I visited Elder Orin Voorheis at his parents’ home in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He is a big, handsome, splendid young man who served in the Argentina Buenos Aires South Mission. One night, about 11 months into his mission, some armed robbers accosted Elder Voorheis and his companion. In a senseless act of violence, one of them shot Elder Voorheis in the head. For days he hovered between life and death, unable to speak, hear, move, or even breathe on his own. Through the faith and prayers of a host of people over a long period of time, he eventually was taken off life support and brought back to the United States.

After months of extensive hospitalization and therapy, Elder Voorheis became stronger, but he was still paralyzed and unable to speak. Progress was slow. His parents decided that they should bring their son home and care for him in the loving atmosphere of their own family. However, their modest home lacked the space or equipment to give the needed therapy. Many kind neighbors, friends, and benefactors pitched in to build an addition to the home and provide physical therapy equipment.

Elder Voorheis is still almost completely paralyzed and unable to speak, but he has a wonderful spirit and can respond to questions with hand movements. He still wears his missionary badge. His parents do not ask, “Why did this happen to our noble son, who was serving at the call of the Master?” No one has a certain answer except perhaps in circumstances where higher purposes are served. We must walk in faith. We recall the Savior’s reply to the question, “Who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?” The Savior answered that no one was at fault but that the works of God might be manifest in him. 5 Rather than harbor bitterness, the members of the Voorheis family bow their heads and say to the Lord: “Thy will be done. We have been grateful for him every day of his life, and with the help of others we will willingly bear the burden of caring for him.”

My purpose in visiting Elder Voorheis was to join his father, his bishop, his home teacher, and others in giving him a blessing of hope. Some may ask, “Is there hope for Elder Voorheis in this life?” I believe there is great hope for everyone! Sometimes we ask God for miracles, and they often happen but not always in the manner we expect. The quality of Elder Voorheis’s life is less than desirable, but the influence of his life on others is incalculable and everlasting both here and in Argentina. Indeed, after his accident the Kilómetro 26 Branch, where he served in Argentina, grew rapidly and quickly qualified for the construction of a chapel.


Okay why is this like my situation? because my quality of life fell fast (I was even on the brink of life and death too) I am not like I use to be, but here's the part: we don't ask why, 'No one has a certain answer except perhaps in circumstances where higher purposes are served.' We really believe that. And also everyone I know (except my MIL) has this wonderful attitude: “Thy will be done. We have been grateful for him every day of his life, and with the help of others we will willingly bear the burden of caring for him.” I just wish my in-laws would feel more that way, I feel like a burden to everyone around me especially to my husband! But he doesn't make me feel like one! Just the opposite, he makes me feel like it is a privilege to love and care for me! I wish I could share this story with my in-laws, would they even get it?

Also that I hope my life will be an influence on others like his 'incalculable and everlasting'.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

This is an amazing talk. Thank you for sharing it. I only need to read your blog to receive my spiritualness for the day. You are amazing. My philosophy my whole life has been never to ask why, but to ask what can I learn from this. I don't always learn it easily and I sometimes am still looking for the lesson, but I know that this way there will always be an answer whereas if I ask why the answer will most likely never come.