Wow I am so sorry it has been so long since I've updated, I keep wanting too, I get on the computer and sign in, but then I read blogs and by the time I'm done I am worn out and need a break and then I never get around to it! I really want to blog because I have had some experiences I don't want to forget. So let's get started and see how far I get! I get inturrupted so many times!
First is when they took me to do a CT scan, I have talked to dr.'s about this before and my dr.'s know how hard it is for me, I can't lay flat, I haven't in over 10 years, I started out with just 2 pillows and now sleep on 4-6 depending on my health. Now the biggest reason I can't lay flat isn't because it's hard to breathe but that I start to cough up blood, no good ever comes of that. So I have not had a CT scan in a really long time.
Well they really needed one to help determine if and where the air in my lungs is. So I consented, I am on bi-pap 24/7 it helps me to breathe, well come to find out it has no back-up battery and therefore you can not use it while you are being transported, I had to use a regular oxygen mask, alright I thought I can do it I can be strong, the RT guy would follow me down with the bi-pap and set it up and then hook me up to it once we were there, they CT people also promised me that it would only take 30 secs for the test.
We got down there and the RT hooked up the bi-pap it didn't reach! I was kinda freaking out! I needed it to breathe! So they were telling me that they could have it all done in 2mins. and I could be out of there, I really had no choice, what was I going to do, go all the way down there and then for just two mins. not do it? so I scooted over onto their table and then.....laid down....I was praying the entire time, plus for some reason had the stupid band-aid song stuck in my head so I was singing that little slogan over and over (reminds me did I mention that the whole ride up to the hospital for the Pneumothorax when I really couldn't breathe I was singing the little song "Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes Jesus loves me, Yes Jesus loves me, for the Bible tells me so" it goes something like that, anyways that's all I could remember and that's all I kept repeating over and over in order to control my breathing).
It probably did only take two mins. it felt a little like three to me:) then I had to continue to breathe with a regular mask until we got back to my room, but I made it, I survived. It was a little break-through for me because I had felt like I couldn't get off the bi-pap, sometimes we have to be forced like that to prove it is possible. Also I can't describe what I went through during that CT scan, the prayer I prayed is hard to describe but it was one of me placing all my trust in the Lord, I thought I already had! I thought I trusted in Him and the things happening in my life, I trust Him, but it was more this time, I truely trusted that my life was in His hands.
So I think I already talked about the big chest tube and how that came about. Then we did do the procedure and because I had had so many episodes of pneumothorax they decided to do the more evasive one the Talc, they did it and for a couple hours afterwards I was fine and thought I might be one of the lucky ones that won't experience much pain! WRONG! It took five days to really get things undercontrol or by then the pain finally was better, I had so many issues with pain management, but also it meant that I had several close calls if you know what I mean, lots of pain meds equals respiratory failure! so several times it was a close call, we have actually thought that this visit might actually be the last one. Then these last couple days we are thinking I might actually get better!
They pulled the big chest tube out yesterday and it is so nice! I can move a lot more and can lean a little on my left instead of my right all the time. I am actually getting real sores on the right side! I have been sitting in a chair for a couple hours these past few days too. So we will see where I go from here! At least I have a good view of the city and will be able to enjoy the fireworks tomorrow, I will also tie my record of longest hospital stay tomorrow! not a record I wanted or was trying to break!
Wow, now I need to sit back and read some blogs.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Finally an update! I have been checking back daily, and have been so woried. I am glad that you are hanging in there and that things are starting to look up.
Oh Ro, like i have said you never cease to amaze me. I cant wait to hear the full details. I have been so crazy worried. I havnet known from one day to the next what to think was going on. I hope you have received the couple of emails that I have sent. You are amazing and I hope you enjoy the fireworks.
I went camping for the 4th weekend and prayed that when I got back you would have posted something. It's good to know our prayers are working. Thanks for the update. I hope you can leave the blasted hospital soon!
Post a Comment